Materials (per student)
Student pairs take a look at pictures of moving objects to determine the location of potential and kinetic energy. They label the pictures to indicate when the object is in each energy position.
Leading the Activity
Involve students in a discussion of potential and kinetic energy. Review the procedures. Distribute the activity sheet to each student. Encourage the students to work in pairs as they discuss and evaluate the pictures on the activity sheet and indicate the potential and kinetic energy positions.
- Observe the object in each picture on the activity sheet.
- Discuss the movement of the object and the object positions.
- Label the potential energy and kinetic energy positions on the picture.
- Describe how potential and kinetic energy interact and affect the motion of the object.
- Think about and share ideas for drawing a picture on the back of the activity sheet that illustrates the interaction of potential and kinetic energy.
- Draw the picture and label the energy positions.
- Describe how potential and kinetic energy interact and affect the movement of the object in the drawing.
Return to Judi's Electronic
Return to Electronic Hallway
Return to TEAMS Homepage