- Identify an incident (event occurring over a relatively short period of time) when you were resilient in overcoming a hardship or injustice. Write a sentence or two briefly telling about the incident.
- In one sentence, tell why this incident was significant to you.
- Recall the scene - who was there, where did it occur, what did you hear, see, smell, etc. at the scene. Describe it so that others would feel they were there.
- Outline the sequence of events: What happened 1st, 2nd, 3rd?
- What were your feelings at the time of the incident? What are your thoughts today?
- How has your life changed as a result of this incident?
- Put these ideas aside and begin your first draft.